Monday, July 14, 2014

What is Unseen

This is not a typical post of mine. It does not tell the story of some crazy argument I had with my two year old about it being selfish to expect that we play Mickey Mouse on all 3 televisions in the house, and even the portable DVD players?? Doesn't he realize that "Shake your peanut" song to get the baby elephant out of the tree is already an anthem in our home? And what is a "hot dog dance" anyway??

Although, life would be a little more simple if that was the biggest of my battles. But it's not, and I am proud that its not, because I have some good news for those of you who have been given a hand that is similar to mine. For those of you that find it hard to put your feet on the ground each morning, for those of you who don't understand why life becomes more difficult when you invite Jesus into your heart, well let me tell you, you are not alone. You are blessed.



I struggle with some inner demons and negative emotions, I find it easy to feel worthless. I never question my faith or my savior, or my God, but I question how faithful I am. It's not easy for me to let go of all control and hand it over to God. This leads to anxiety, I jump to conclusions. This leads to failure, because I put expectations that are unrealistic on myself and others. This failure leads to depression, and unfortunately, among other reasons, depression is going to be a life long battle for me.

As I was doing some research for myself and my husband about praying for this illness of mine and how to cope I found this verse... and I did not see it coming....

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.                                                       Corinthians 4:16-18 (ESV)


Woah!
Did you see that??
...AFFLICTION (pain/suffering) PREPARES US FOR ETERNITY....
need I elaborate on that??  let's see what Jesus thinks...


 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.                                                                                                   Matthew 5:10 (ESV)


There it is again!! 
BLESSED are those who are persecuted (those who SUFFER). Wow.
So it is actually a privilege to endure and to suffer!!
This is some good stuff.
...for righteousness sake... for living for God, for following Jesus..


I don't know about you guys, but the moment I was born again and stepped out of the baptizing water, I met Satan face to face, I let him know I am ready to fight the good fight and he better watch out because I have a God who loves me, a god who will not leave me alone, a God who is forever present, and a God who brings comfort and protection. Now that I have proclaimed publicly and committed this life to God, I have the privilege of suffering for him. I am being prepared for the kingdom of heaven, because it's mine. Because I am willing to take on this suffering,  this persecution and this affliction to honor, live for, and die for My God and Jesus, because he did the same for me.


And it doesn't stop there, we sometimes think that worldly things hold any value.  We sometimes think that a nice home, clothes, car, more money, or even a perfect body, and easy marriage a perfect upbringing, etc. means we are living the right way that we are successful, that we are being rewarded with all these wordly things.
No. You cannot get the kingdom of heaven without muddling through the gates of suffering and persecution. So we shouldn't be looking forward to SEEING our accomplishments, on this earth. It is what is UNSEEN (sometimes difficult to understand or believe) that are eternal.

...let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2. looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
                                                                                                                Hebrews 12:1-2(ESV)

He set the example of suffering for righteousness. His momentary affliction prepared him for eternity, and now the kingdom of heaven is his.




      
  Let MY love be the proof of YOUR love.

1 comment:

  1. So much truth in this post!! I love it so much! My heart is so full of joy to see such transparency and honesty here, no hiding in the shadows allowing the devil to grab a hold, but bringing everything to the shining light of Jesus Christ.
    And I love your analysis of the Corinthians verse!!! I never saw it that way

    ReplyDelete